what Thai visa as tourist

So what visa do i need if I’m just a normal tourist?

Good question!

Lucky for most people who wish to have a holiday here, Thailand have visa exemption policy which allow people who hold passport of 64 countries all over the world can enter Thailand without the need of applying for any visa beforehand. By doing so, you will get a 30 days stamp visa on arrival if entering Kingdom of Thailand via an international airport such as Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang International Airport. But if you entering Kingdom of Thailand via a land border, you’ll get a 15 days’ stamp instead.

This exemption policy was exploited known as the “border run” practice so much by visitors wishing to live in Thailand but did not want to spend time and energy obtaining the correct visa. However, as Thailand’s migration policy shifts, foreigners can no longer unlimitedly extend their stay with border run anymore.

With this current policy, you can enter Thailand via a land border without a visa under the tourist visa exemption policy only 2 times max per calendar year. You’ll get refused entry at the 3rd times so be careful. However, there’s no consistent clear rules if you entering via airport, you may find yourself able to get stamped more than twice.

* You can check the list of the countries with exemption on our Visa on Arrival page. But if you come from developed country, you can assume that you get this exemption privilege.

What if I’m in love with Thailand and want to spend my holiday a little bit longer as a visa on arrival holder? 30 days is too short!

Visa on Arrival or some people known as stamp visa, can be extended for additional 30 days at the Immigration Office. If this is not enough for you, you may now consider apply to tourist visa or any other long-term stay visa with us!

What if my country is not in the exemption list?

Then sadly, you have to apply for Thailand tourist visa or any type of Thai visa before coming here. But on the bright side you’ll get longer days to stay!

Please visit our Tourist Visa page for more information.

How can I stay in Thailand Long Term?

The answer is many ways actually. However, it’s complicated than it should be and that where we come in and offer you our services to make your life in Thailand easier.

If you wish to stay here in Thailand long-term for work-related, family-related, retirement, investment or whatever reasons, you need to get visa under non-Immigrant visa category or, harder, a permanent residence permit. There are also other options such as Elite visa.

The popular long-term staying visas that foreigners in Thailand apply the most are these four: Non-B (Work visa), Non-ED (study visa), Non-O (marriage visa), Non-OA (retirement visa).

* Please note that you have to do 90-day reporting even if you obtain 1-year visa, 5-year visa or 10-year visa. For more information please visit our 90-day reporting page.

Full list of Non-Immigrant visa types & codes

NonB (Business)

If you plan to work and make money in Thailand, this is the visa for you. It comes with a work permit. You can be an employee, freelancer or business owner.

NonD (Diplomatic)

For people who come to Thailand with diplomatic reasons.

NonED (Education)

Another popular visa that many foreigners apply for, as the name suggests, this one for people who come to Thailand for education reasons. It can be anything, from study a short Thai language course to study 4-years in college. This also count a training course, observation tour, learning Muay Thai, or study and practice to be a Buddhist monk as well.

NonEX (Expert)

For an expert or specialist who come to perform on short-term period of time.

NonF (Official)

For people who come to perform official duties involving the Royal Thai government.

NonIB (Investment through BOIBoard of Investment)

The Thailand Investment Board (BOI) is a government agency in Thailand. Its mission is to foster foreign investment in Thailand by providing information and services to interested foreign investors and incentives. This visa is for people who invest through them.

NonIM (Investment through Ministry)

For people who seek to undertake other activities relating to investment reason.

NonM (Mass media of communication)

For a press representatives such as a journalist or reporter, including a film-producer with permission from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

NonO (Others / Dependent)

Known as Marriage Visa or follow family member visa. A family member is not have to be a Thai person, but must be a family member who stays legally in Thailand at least to get this visa. For example, if you have a kid under age 18 studying in Thailand, you can apply for this visa as well.

NonOA (Others / Retirement)

For people who wish to spend their retirement days in Thailand. Must be at least age 50 to apply.

NonOX (Others / Long stay 10 years)

This retirement visa is exclusive to passport holders from 14 countries only, with or over the age of 50 years.

NonR (Religion)

For people who come to Thailand to carry out missionary job or other religious practices with the permission of the Thai ministries or government.

NonRS (Research and Science)

For those who come to Thailand to perform scientific research or training.

NonS (Sport)

For those who come to Thailand to participate in a well-known sports event.

How to apply for a Thai visa yourself?


Overstay Warning

Overstaying is an act that violates your permission to live in Thailand by staying over the time that you are allowed to as shown by your stamp or visa.

For example, if you are supposed to be leaving Thailand by February 25th  (as stamped by your passport) but still in Thailand by February 26th, you are already violating the law by overstaying. It is the responsibility of any foreigner to leave Thailand on or before their permit date expires, so whatever the reasons may be, it is important to report and meet the immigration as requested or you may face the unwelcome consequences.